Flooding: Latest as at 08/01/16


Below is a letter which Mr Wallace sent to households in the area of the recent flooding.  In it the £50m fund to protect properties from the effects of future floods is mentioned please see updated information with regard to this directly below, which can be found on Wyre Councils website:      

The Property Level Protection Scheme element of the Communities and Business Recovery scheme is intended as a contribution towards making properties more resilient to future flooding. This funding will allow affected households and small and medium-sized businesses to claim up to £5,000 per property flooded, for resilient repairs, as a result of Storm Desmond.  

Further details to follow but if you would like to register your interest please contact our Business Support Team on 01253 891000 or email regeneration@wyre.gov.uk who can offer advice and support. 

Letter Below: 

Following the awful weather we have all experienced over the Christmas period, I wanted to send you details of the help and assistance available to you from Government in order to help mitigate the effects of the flooding. 

You may be aware that the Government has announced a £50 million Flood Fund for all those affected by the recent flooding.  These funds have now been distributed to local authorities.  Hopefully, by now, those of you who have been flooded should have received a £500 cheque from Wyre Council to help with emergency provisions and the clear up.  If you have not then please contact Wyre Council on the following number: 01253 891000.  

Please be assured that I will continue to work closely with the Environment Agency, Wyre Council and Lancashire County Council to ensure that the necessary works to prevent flooding in the future take place and that we get our fair share of the flood defence funding.  

I am keen that as many as my constituents as possible access the £50m fund to protect your properties from the effects of future floods.  If you are uninsured or if you wish to apply for grants to help flood proof your property (within reason) you can apply to the Lancashire Flood Recovery Fund which is distributed by the Community Foundation For Lancashire.  The Foundation can be contacted on 0151 232 2444 and further information can be found here: www.lancsfoundation.org.uk/Lancashire-Flood-Recovery-Fund.

Having visited a number of local businesses and communities over Christmas I know that it isn't just homes that have been affected.  If you are in charge of a local business or support a local community facility that has suffered damage then the following bodies and links are here to help:  


If you need  any help with the above or if you are having problems with your insurers or the local authorities then please don't hesitate to contact me by email at wallaceb@parliament.uk or by post at: House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA or phone: 0207 219 5804.  Me and my team will be happy to assist.